Why does everyone buy expensive smartphones?

Join the discussion
bonedatt
bonedatt
Arena Apprentice
• 3mo ago

Unfortunately, the features that I need are usually only found on the expensive phones.

propov
propov
Arena Apprentice
• 3mo ago
↵Drs44 said:

For me is the camera that's most important and unfortunately only the top phones have the best cameras.

Me too but sadly there is no small phones with Hi end camera. I just dont like bigger than 6.5" bricks.

ottianen
ottianen
Arena Apprentice
• 3mo ago
↵Crispin_Gatieza said:

If you're using your phone for work, whether you are a construction professional or an Uber driver, you want the best because your bacon depends on it. That usually means expensive because not everyone has the luxury of using multiple devices for different tasks. A solid, upper mid-range phone ($500-$650) and a good mid-pack tablet ($650) can handle just about any scenario but who wants to lug around 2 devices, pay a separate line for the tablet and charge 2 devices? That's the reasoning behind a flagship phone with a large display and, hopefully, stylus support.

I bought a oneplus 10t in december23, for 269 in eBay USA, brand new, except photografy all is excelentes, dont care to pay 3X or 4X for better photos, this has impressive 8Gen1+, excelente desplazamiento, multitasking, sound...

VGFreak
VGFreak
Arena Apprentice
• 3mo ago

I've found out that expensive phones are made better and therefore are more reliable. From my experience, Galaxy S line is more resilient and much more reliable than the A line.

s.a.T
s.a.T
Arena Apprentice
• 3mo ago

We always want the best we think we can afford. Smartphones have become so many things in one we value or need. if you go back to the pre smartphone era and calculate what people spent for functions a smartphone performs you might be surprised.

WirelessPro4U2Envy
WirelessPro4U2Envy
Arena Apprentice
• 3mo agoedited

I have Champaign taste on a beer budget. Lifelong android user with an S24 Ultra currently. Will be dropping dual SIM second number this fall to put second number on an iPhone 16 Pro Max so I can run around with both of the best phones on the market. I'll put my personal number on the iPhone and keep my work number on the Ultra because I highly doubt Apple will give me the productivity tools I get from Android and my nephew will think I'm cooler for texting him from an iPhone.

Disclosures: I sell phones and service. Most of my sales, by a long shot, are for iPhones and S24s. It's not just phone arena readers. If it's not 15s and 24s, it's still 13s, 14s, 23s, and 22s. Might sell 2 $300 phones monthly, at most. I've seen MVNO customers coming in to switch with $2500 phones they bought outright (because MVNO service does in fact suck for reliability; you've legit gotta be a fool if you think AT&T is going to give you great service on AT&T equipment while you're paying someone who isn't AT&T; that's like buying a steak mcgriddle then expecting to be served for free if you eat it inside a Ruth Chris Steakhouse). I'm also the kind of person who set up a web server and hosted a website on his phone to prove it could be done. I'll probably have an Apple Watch Ultra on one wrist to go with my Galaxy Watch Pro on the other this fall just so I can instantly give prospective customers evidence that it's totally fine to put $5000 worth of tech on or in both hands. This fall, I become a wireless god.

bjrosen
bjrosen
Arena Apprentice
• 3mo ago

Smartphone is a misnomer, they are Smartcameras. People aren't buying phones that can take a picture, they are buying a camera that can make an occasional phone call. The differentiator between flagships are the cameras, it's not the processors, or the memory or even the screen. For every other task phones have been good enough for many years and even the cheapest phones can make phone calls, text, and even play videos just as well as the flagships but if you want a zoom lens you have to buy a flagship. Couple that with the fact that the difference in price isn't that much, it's just a few hundred dollars. Phones aren't like cars where the difference in price is many tens of thousands of dollars between the economy versions and the premium versions. Most people can swing an extra two or three hundred dollars one every two or three years especially when the phone companies hide the cost by spreading it out over those years

Calvin413
Calvin413
Arena Apprentice
• 3mo ago

I made my choice based upon my needs and expectations, which are:

• a bigger screen size,
  • fast processor,
  • functionality, and
  • quality.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra about a year ago. The only regret is the Stylus, which I absolutely have not found a need for. Otherwise it meets every expectation.

TheRealDuckofDeath
TheRealDuckofDeath
Arena Master
• 3mo ago

They all run the same software, but for reasons unexplained in science, the software stops working as intended after a couple years on the cheap ones. That is the deliberate design in mobile.

Has anyone ever checked how budget phones track with Moore's Law? Well, to be fair, Moore's Law was conveniently thrown out of the window with excuses like covid and crypto, but still... I get a feeling they don't evolve a lot, but still get less affordable.

kembry
kembry
Arena Apprentice
• 3mo ago

Um...because people often say one thing and do another. We say we want cheaper, "reasonably priced" phones, but we don't buy them. Follow the money, not the rhetoric.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless