What makes a foldable better than a classic phone?

Join the discussion
Ilia Temelkov
Ilia Temelkov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1mo ago

It feels like all manufacturers are pushing into the foldable segment, which could make you believe everybody wants to use one. However, when you go out on the street, people still use their classic slabs and don't seem eager to pay the extra money for a foldable.

There could be many reasons for this discrepancy. Foldables are still seen as more fragile, their specs are worse than those of similarly priced slab phones, and the form factor is not fully utilized for a significantly improved user experience.

Amidst the foldable craze we're now experiencing, I can't help but wonder why anyone would choose a Galaxy Z Fold 6 or a Pixel 9 Pro Fold over a Galaxy S24 Ultra or a Pixel 9 Pro. That's why I am asking you.

What makes a foldable phone better than a classic slab? What features or user experiences make it worthy of your extra dollars? Would you prefer a flip or a 'book' design for your new foldable, and why? If you're not yet using a foldable, what would make you switch? Please help me justify these devices!

MartyLK
MartyLK
Arena Master
• 1mo ago

It's a phone and tablet

nghtwng68
nghtwng68
Arena Apprentice
• 1mo ago

Switching to a foldable device would be a hard sell. Foldable devices do seem fragile and I'm still curious on the folding, screen crease over the course of time.

The price is high and the bulk size would be bothersome as I keep my device in my front pocket.

I do agree, I don't see a lot of individuals with foldables, only slab devices.

The Galaxy S24 Ultra is a far superior device than the foldable devices and that is what I would buy before a foldable indeed.

Foldables just seem like a niche market now with a high price tag that manufacturers are trying to get more money out of consumers now.

Nice write up!

pimpin83z
pimpin83z
Arena Legend
• 1mo ago
↵nghtwng68 said:

Switching to a foldable device would be a hard sell. Foldable devices do seem fragile and I'm still curious on the folding, screen crease over the course of time.

The price is high and the bulk size would be bothersome as I keep my device in my front pocket.

I do agree, I don't see a lot of individuals with foldables, only slab devices.

The Galaxy S24 Ultra is a far superior device than the foldable devices and that is what I would buy before a foldable indeed.

Foldables just seem like a niche market now with a high price tag that manufacturers are trying to get more money out of consumers now.

Nice write up!

"The Galaxy S24 Ultra is a far superior device than the foldable devices and that is what I would buy before a foldable indeed."

Chuuuch!

• 1mo ago

Don't have one. Don't want one. Insanely expensive. Screen too delicate. Fold is visible regardless of what you are being told by manufacturers. Much cheaper options in slab phones that will do just fine and save well over $1000.00. I see no justification to switch even at the same price.

Nokfan1603
Nokfan1603
Arena Apprentice
• 1mo ago

Owner of the Galaxy Fold 5. To my surprise, I like the small form factor of the front display. The grip of the phone in my hand, the balance of its weight, and it even feels better in the front pocket of my jeans. All of this is in comparison with my former S23 Ultra. And then the obvious, the big screen when you open it.

TheRealDuckofDeath
TheRealDuckofDeath
Arena Master
• 1mo ago
↵ilia.t said:

It feels like all manufacturers are pushing into the foldable segment, which could make you believe everybody wants to use one. However, when you go out on the street, people still use their classic slabs and don't seem eager to pay the extra money for a foldable.

There could be many reasons for this discrepancy. Foldables are still seen as more fragile, their specs are worse than those of similarly priced slab phones, and the form factor is not fully utilized for a significantly improved user experience.

Amidst the foldable craze we're now experiencing, I can't help but wonder why anyone would choose a Galaxy Z Fold 6 or a Pixel 9 Pro Fold over a Galaxy S24 Ultra or a Pixel 9 Pro. That's why I am asking you.

What makes a foldable phone better than a classic slab? What features or user experiences make it worthy of your extra dollars? Would you prefer a flip or a 'book' design for your new foldable, and why? If you're not yet using a foldable, what would make you switch? Please help me justify these devices!

"...when you go out on the street, people still use their classic slabs and don't seem eager to pay the extra money for a foldable..."

The main reason for that is, it's the most premium price segment in mobile. The average selling price for a Samsung foldable is over 1,500 bucks. That is well over 500 bucks more than the average iPhone selling price. If you follow sports, where people with too much disposable income tends to take photos and selfies everywhere you do see plenty of Z Flips.

What makes them better? My Z Flip is just so much smaller than a regular slab phone, without compromising on the screen size. It isn't more complicated than that. The insistence on them being more fragile is a myth mostly spread by that brand without access. I drop mine all the time and it just doesn't crack.

propov
propov
Arena Apprentice
• 1mo ago
↵Nokfan1603 said:

Owner of the Galaxy Fold 5. To my surprise, I like the small form factor of the front display. The grip of the phone in my hand, the balance of its weight, and it even feels better in the front pocket of my jeans. All of this is in comparison with my former S23 Ultra. And then the obvious, the big screen when you open it.

Absolutely the same! I just cant care in my pocket and in my hand 6.7" inch monster. I need a "pocketable one hand phone" all the time. But when I can have a "pocketable one hand" tablet with no compromise phone functionality - Im definitely IN. And Im IN since Fold 2.

Mreveryphone
Mreveryphone
Arena Master
• 1mo ago

I've been flipping and folding since the 2... I use both the S series and Folds. I definitely get the Ultra since I'm a Note transplant. I use the pen take advantage of the cameras and very good battery life! That is my trips/vacation/jack of all trades phone because it has it all with no compromises! The other times I'm Folding cause you can't beat that tablet in your pocket feeling when you gotta burn some time. The screens aren't as delicate as people think and I don't even see the crease when consuming content. The cameras are good enough for quick shots out and about and some detailed shots if needed. I'm currently on the Fold 6 and so far so good! The outer screen is wider just not as wide my 1+ Open but I'm liking it so far. The square edges bring me right back to the Note vibes and I'm here for that!

All in all it comes down to how you use your phone. I have uses for both S series and Foldable's. But I still say if you want the phone that does it all go for the Ultra but if you have a need to have a tablet in your pocket at all times go with the Fold.

GoonSquad
GoonSquad
Arena Apprentice
• 1mo ago

I work in the asphalt paving industry. I'm around big Milling machines. I dropped my fold 4, from the height of 6 ft, 8 or 10 times over the last couple years .and by the end of the shift my phone is covered in dust even though it's in my pocket. I dropped it on hot asphalt I dropped it in a pile of Milling dust. Never had any damage done to the screen. Other than regular wear and tear. Samsung foldables are a lot more durable than people think. I work in probably harshest environment for this type of phone.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless