Do you think Google went too far with the Pixel 9 prices?

Join the discussion
Samichales89
Samichales89
Arena Apprentice
• 1mo ago
↵MsPooks said:

My issue with Pixel prices is that the price should be subsidized by the unspoken contract you agree to when you buy that series: you're giving Google your data in a way no other Android phone harvests. That's fine, but your data is worth something, and a discount for it should be applied to the phone. $600 tops for the Pro XL.

Or at least make accessing the Advanced AI features free.

rakyRaky_b
rakyRaky_b
Arena Apprentice
• 1mo ago
↵gz5150 said:

Now that the prices are comparable with Samsung and iPhone, why would you even look at a Google Phone, especially with its poor chipset/modem. At best these are $549 phones. And add to the fact, that of all the colors in the world to put on your phones, they go with the 4 Horseman of the Apocalypse color scheme. Is Google trying to tell us something ????

Maybe the DOJ is going to break them into a hundred pieces.....which would be a good thing.

Same modem as galaxy phones in Europe

gz5150
gz5150
Arena Apprentice
• 1mo ago
↵rakyRaky_b said:

Same modem as galaxy phones in Europe

It's sad that Samsung did that. Guess that is why they are trying to snap up the S23's in those countries that have Qualcomm instead of the Exynos crap.

But ya I was talking more from a USA point of view where we get the Qualcomm stuff in the S series.

maestrotelefono
maestrotelefono
Arena Apprentice
• 1mo ago
↵ilia.t said:

Google’s newly announced Pixel 9 phones have many cool features, but there’s also some unpleasant news. For the first time, the Pixel series matches the prices of iPhones. The base Pixel 9 is now $799, and the Pixel 9 Pro and Pixel 9 Pro XL start at $999 and $1099, respectively. Practically, this is a $100 increase on both models, as the Pixel 8 Pro was the size of the current XL model.

For this price, Google brought many updates across its portfolio. That includes the design, features, and, most importantly, the amount of RAM. However, the chipset is still performing worse than the similarly priced competitors. Apparently, Google’s sales pitch is all about Gemini AI. In any case, this can’t stop the questions about the prices of the new Pixels.

So, do you think these prices are too high? Would you spend such an amount of money on Google’s latest? If yes, what makes it a good deal for you? If no, what are your alternatives, and why are you choosing them?

I don't think Google made a good decision with raising prices. I am a Pixel fun, have been using Pixel devices since 2xl and updating phones every year.

Since the Tensor was introduced, there is clear disadvantage from point of SoC. Slower, worse modem and worse heat management. Plus the continuous disadvantage of battery life. I could live with these issues until the price of Pixel phones was lower than Samsung's and Apple's flagship phones.

Now that prices of the new Pixel models caught up, and sometimes the price is even higher, I don't think the new models deserve their price tag.

What is the 'upgrade' of the new Pixel models? Slightly better SoC, slightly better modem, and a LOT of new AI features. Do people really care so much about AI? I don't think so. Not speaking about the fact that many main features simply don't work outside the US. An example: I ask Gemini to summarise my phone call. Ok, but 99% I speak on the on mother language which is not English. So I will have nothing. No Satellite SOS. No call screen. No Pixel Studio in the EU. And the list is quite long.

Like you buy a Tesla, but a lot of functions are switched off, and you have an expensive electric car that you can't use normally.

I am very curious that if the embargo ends next week, what YouTubers will say about the new phones. I am afraid not too many will be very positive about them.

geemy
geemy
Arena Apprentice
• 4w agoedited

as long as Google increases prices but also increases offers accordingly, I'm not TOO bothered. I'm going to keep upgrading on a yearly basis for a very small cost and have a phone always up to date, fresh and under warranty. Google store support is really good I just had phone not charging a couple of times (honestly probably due to going in sea water) and google sends me a new/refurbished P8P with no more of the scratches I had on the screen it won't be hard to sell it around 599 which is the price I got it after rebates.

749 for a p9p XL 256GB is a bit more than I'm comfortable and more than I've ever spent on a phone with but I think it's still a good value and since. I'm paying monthly over 24 month and I'll be selling it next year close to the price I don't really feel the cost as long as depreciation is low. if I smash the phone to the point it's not repairable though...that will be expensive.

Amiya
Amiya
Arena Apprentice
• 3w ago

Yes..midrange chipset , slow charging , big ugly rounded corners, But flagship prices ..😡

CheecH421
CheecH421
Arena Apprentice
• 4d ago

First and foremost let me say this-the pixel 9 series is f**king amazing birth design wise and features wise as well. Couple those designs with their 7 years of software support and you truly have a juggernaut combo that is hard to compete with. Yet they have booked the process too damned high this year imho. Even with the new design, added ai smarts and overall upgrades the price offer to have been closed to 750 than a grand. No longer is the order range the affordable flagship options they used to be. At least they remain one of a very few company flagship phone on the market.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless