Do you think Google went too far with the Pixel 9 prices?

Join the discussion
Ilia Temelkov
Ilia Temelkov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 4w ago

Google’s newly announced Pixel 9 phones have many cool features, but there’s also some unpleasant news. For the first time, the Pixel series matches the prices of iPhones. The base Pixel 9 is now $799, and the Pixel 9 Pro and Pixel 9 Pro XL start at $999 and $1099, respectively. Practically, this is a $100 increase on both models, as the Pixel 8 Pro was the size of the current XL model.

For this price, Google brought many updates across its portfolio. That includes the design, features, and, most importantly, the amount of RAM. However, the chipset is still performing worse than the similarly priced competitors. Apparently, Google’s sales pitch is all about Gemini AI. In any case, this can’t stop the questions about the prices of the new Pixels.

So, do you think these prices are too high? Would you spend such an amount of money on Google’s latest? If yes, what makes it a good deal for you? If no, what are your alternatives, and why are you choosing them?

Smartphoner
Smartphoner
Arena Apprentice
• 4w ago
↵ilia.t said:

Google’s newly announced Pixel 9 phones have many cool features, but there’s also some unpleasant news. For the first time, the Pixel series matches the prices of iPhones. The base Pixel 9 is now $799, and the Pixel 9 Pro and Pixel 9 Pro XL start at $999 and $1099, respectively. Practically, this is a $100 increase on both models, as the Pixel 8 Pro was the size of the current XL model.

For this price, Google brought many updates across its portfolio. That includes the design, features, and, most importantly, the amount of RAM. However, the chipset is still performing worse than the similarly priced competitors. Apparently, Google’s sales pitch is all about Gemini AI. In any case, this can’t stop the questions about the prices of the new Pixels.

So, do you think these prices are too high? Would you spend such an amount of money on Google’s latest? If yes, what makes it a good deal for you? If no, what are your alternatives, and why are you choosing them?

We do not know how much it costed to be made. We can not base an opinion on specs. Components from different suppliers have different prices.

MartyLK
MartyLK
Arena Master
• 4w agoedited

Probably not. They're probably worth the increase. But the economy here in the US is so terrible that living necessities are way too high, making ends meet excludes such luxuries as a new phone.

And I don't think it'll get better any time soon.

Vancetastic
Vancetastic
Arena Master
• 4w ago

If no one buys them, then yes. If they sell, then no. Personally, I would have liked to see them keep the prices down.

rakyRaky_b
rakyRaky_b
Arena Apprentice
• 4w ago

For me, in the Norway, it is far enough to make me not even consider it.

Than there is another thing that makes me skip it, and that's battery.

I will rather buy OnePlus 12 for the same price as Pixel pro XL (or even for something less)

• 4w ago
↵MartyLK said:

Probably not. They're probably worth the increase. But the economy here in the US is so terrible that living necessities are way too high, making ends meet excludes such luxuries as a new phone.

And I don't think it'll get better any time soon.

I think that will be the case in many places very soon. Priorities change with circumstances. I can't see a $1000+ phone being a priority for many much longer.

gz5150
gz5150
Arena Apprentice
• 4w ago

Now that the prices are comparable with Samsung and iPhone, why would you even look at a Google Phone, especially with its poor chipset/modem. At best these are $549 phones. And add to the fact, that of all the colors in the world to put on your phones, they go with the 4 Horseman of the Apocalypse color scheme. Is Google trying to tell us something ????

Maybe the DOJ is going to break them into a hundred pieces.....which would be a good thing.

TBomb
TBomb
Arena Master
• 4w ago
↵gz5150 said:

Now that the prices are comparable with Samsung and iPhone, why would you even look at a Google Phone, especially with its poor chipset/modem. At best these are $549 phones. And add to the fact, that of all the colors in the world to put on your phones, they go with the 4 Horseman of the Apocalypse color scheme. Is Google trying to tell us something ????

Maybe the DOJ is going to break them into a hundred pieces.....which would be a good thing.

$549?? What about it makes it worth $549 at best compared to every other similarly priced phone?

Please tell me you were exaggerating.

gz5150
gz5150
Arena Apprentice
• 4w ago
↵TBomb said:

$549?? What about it makes it worth $549 at best compared to every other similarly priced phone?

Please tell me you were exaggerating.

No, not an exaggeration. I tried the 6,7,8 series, and all got returned. The Pixel 8 when I received it. This time I checked my S23 ( shut off wifi and looked at what the signal indicator . I had 4 of 5 bars 5g UC ( I'm with T-mo)

After getting the Pixel 8 set up, I shut the S23 off swapped the sim to the pixel 8. It would not get any kind of 5g. The best that it could do was LTE and 1 bar and this is in the same spot at my desk that the S23 was getting 5g UC signal. If I walked outside of my house it would get LTE w/2bars.

Perhaps you're happy paying for such poor performance, but I'm not. I gave Google a try, three times in fact, with the series 6,7 &8 and they all got very poor reception. I will give the Pixel phones credit for making me realize how good Samsung S series phones are.

Bryan13
Bryan13
Arena Apprentice
• 4w ago

Samsun S24 wipes the floor with the vanila Pixel 9 AND 9 PRO. Better processor and add a telephoto lens for less $$. No brainer to get the Samsung.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless