Debate: How long should a phone last between charges?

Join the discussion
StanleyKubrick
StanleyKubrick
Arena Apprentice
• 1y ago

Well, the longer the better for battery life in the long term. The way I use my Pixel 7 Pro I can easily go two full days on one charge. I plop it on the wireless charger every other night. Many times it has 40% or more available after two full days! It all depends on how you use your phone. I use it as a communications device with maps, banking, etc., etc. I do not play games. If you stare at your screen all day of course the battery will NOT last as long! Simple really!

poptart
poptart
Arena Master
• 1y ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

I get that. We just shouldn’t be conditioned to charge our phones every day or twice a day!

I charge my phone once a day just like everyone else. The difference is, it takes me only 30 minutes to charge my vivo x fold from 0 to 80 and I won't have to deal with it again till next day. Have you been to the airport recently? Notice how many wall huggers there are, all with iPhones. I don't need to hang around a wall all day. Fast charging completely nullifies the long waiting and conserving of battery because it takes everyone in America 2 hours to charge. I'm in and out while I'm eating a taco. Lol

Drivefast71
Drivefast71
Arena Apprentice
• 1y ago

I'm using the Axon 40 Ultra. With moderate-to-heavy use every day, I get about a day and a half on a full charge. But, I do charge once a day anyway. When I plug in, I have roughly 35-40% left. I'd like to see it last a week... But that'll never happen. Can't sell more batteries if they're too efficient!

GiulioSeverini
GiulioSeverini
Arena Apprentice
• 1y ago

Yes, but in the past charging time was in the hours, not in the minutes. So, where it is true that battery life has gone south, the charging speed has gone north. A better battery experience, though, would be appreciated.

AltronLivez51
AltronLivez51
Arena Master
• 1y ago

There is no debate. How long yoir battery lasts on a charge takes in too many factors.

What apps yoi have installed? The more apps you have that need server-side assistance, the more battery draining they are, even when they aren't actually open. For example, how many apps you have checking the same email? Email gets push or even pull notifications to let you know you have mail.

How many bells and whistles you have turned on. How many hertz is yoir display? Is it at max resolution and more.

As long as you can get a full day on a single charge, you should be fine. You gonna have to chargebit regardless of brand, unless you are less than a medium user.

Some people have their phones glued to their hands where they never out it down anf those phone won't last all day.

On average, I get 1.5 work days from a single charge and it's been that way for me since the Note 5 and S8.

No iPhone I ever had would last a work day, without putting it on thr charger 5hrs into the day. That'd based on my usage.

My N20U is heading into year 3 and it still lasts all day and all the bells amd whistles are on.

AltronLivez51
AltronLivez51
Arena Master
• 1y ago
↵pravin.n15 said:

I now this is asking too much, for now, but looking at the bigger picture, it should., should.. last between minimum 3-5 days.

Battery tech is in a very nascent state as of now.

Wouldn't even think of relying too much on any batterty operated things, especially EVs till they fix issues like stand-by batter drain on account of temp changes, combustability, water and temp protecion, power density, charging speeds, portless charging for bigger appliances/vehicles/machines, etc, protecting batteries against electro-magnetic interferences and causing those for other appliances as well, chemical complexity that would ultimately cause issues like ground-water and soil pollution (agrcultural reasons).

You see, the more we think of the bigger picture, the more it shows that battery tech and the way we are going about it, is really something that needs a strategic revisit, on a priority basis, before we make a mess of it, like we did with nuclear and other chemical tech.

Dude, there arent any laptops that last 3-5 days on a charge. Your phone is just a smaller laptop.

Today's battery tech is sufficient for today's phones. If your phone doesn't last all day, then that simply means you need to put it down.

AltronLivez51
AltronLivez51
Arena Master
• 1y ago
said:

It wasn't too long ago we had phones last a week, no problem. Battery life was measured in days. Then smartphones came out and we went backwards. And stayed there.

This comment was deleted by the user.
AltronLivez51
AltronLivez51
Arena Master
• 1y ago
↵pravin.n15 said:

I now this is asking too much, for now, but looking at the bigger picture, it should., should.. last between minimum 3-5 days.

Battery tech is in a very nascent state as of now.

Wouldn't even think of relying too much on any batterty operated things, especially EVs till they fix issues like stand-by batter drain on account of temp changes, combustability, water and temp protecion, power density, charging speeds, portless charging for bigger appliances/vehicles/machines, etc, protecting batteries against electro-magnetic interferences and causing those for other appliances as well, chemical complexity that would ultimately cause issues like ground-water and soil pollution (agrcultural reasons).

You see, the more we think of the bigger picture, the more it shows that battery tech and the way we are going about it, is really something that needs a strategic revisit, on a priority basis, before we make a mess of it, like we did with nuclear and other chemical tech.

3-5 days? Did that phone have a smart TV class display at FHD+ or higher resolution?

Did it have a desktop class CPU? How about 12GB of ram? 5 cameras? 100's of apps? Were you able to listen to music and video on it all day?

You know how many components make up a phone today? The phone you are talking about didn't have 5G, or multiple antennas, BT, or wifi.

Radios/modems have to constantly run for younto have access to data and get calls.

Today's battery in a phone is power or 50 different things on the hardware alone.

Dude you need to use some sense.

Today's phone is like a laptop in your pocket. No laptop would last 3-5 days if you actually use it.

Yes my phone will last 3-5 days if I just unplug it and just leave it on the desk and never use it.

If your phone doesn't last a day, it basically means you use it too much.

To th3 writer there is no debate. Everyone has different needs and usage of their phone.

Today's battery tech is surely outdated and better stuff is coming. But better stuff has to be safe to use, not just a rushed component.

Graphene batteries are coming. They promise faster charging time, larger capacity too. But test show thr battery isn't as safe as what we have now.

AltronLivez51
AltronLivez51
Arena Master
• 1y ago
↵Drivefast71 said:

I'm using the Axon 40 Ultra. With moderate-to-heavy use every day, I get about a day and a half on a full charge. But, I do charge once a day anyway. When I plug in, I have roughly 35-40% left. I'd like to see it last a week... But that'll never happen. Can't sell more batteries if they're too efficient!

What battery can you go an buy at the store for your phone?

You were fine until you said something about buying a battery. Can you install this battery?

You can pay to have it replaced and again it will last as long as your original one. Nothing is gonna change. They aren't make money off battery sales.

If your phone needs a new battery, basicslly you will be just buying another phone.

Most people don't keep a phone long enough for it to stop holding a sufficient charge.

I still have a few of my old S and Note models and they still last all day on a charge. But it's just been sitting. Batteries haven't swollen either.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵poptart said:

I charge my phone once a day just like everyone else. The difference is, it takes me only 30 minutes to charge my vivo x fold from 0 to 80 and I won't have to deal with it again till next day. Have you been to the airport recently? Notice how many wall huggers there are, all with iPhones. I don't need to hang around a wall all day. Fast charging completely nullifies the long waiting and conserving of battery because it takes everyone in America 2 hours to charge. I'm in and out while I'm eating a taco. Lol

Fast charging has been one of the best quality-of-life improvements in the last decade. My Mate 20 Pro was able to charge in under one hour, and ever since then, I can't do without fast wireless charging. I tried Realme's 240-watt beast and charged a phone in under 10 minutes. This might be a bit extreme, but it is very impressive nonetheless.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless