Debate: Curved vs Flat displays?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵J2017 said:

Accidentally touched havent been a thing in years. You're just parroting what you heard about curved screens when they came out years ago.

I disagree. When I hold the S22 Ultra with one hand (inside my palm) and try to work the display with my other hand, it's just terrible, unless I grab it with the tips of my fingers. That's without a case, obviously.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵ivan.k said:

Like it's too edgy, rubbing my palm and feels uncomfortable. It's personal feeling/perception and probably depends on how you hold your phone, too.

It's sharp, that's what it is. It's like holding a thing that's not been designed to be held. I get you!

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵AGoogleUser said:

Give me Flat screens or give me death!

That's hardcore :)) Appreciate the enthusiasm, though :))

Alvee1
Alvee1
Arena Apprentice
• 1y ago

Obi-Wan on curved displays: "This is the display of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy as an lcd; an elegant display for a more civilized age."

People who prefer flat displays: "i nO liKe cUrVe. iT nO FeEl rIgHt." ?

tedkord
tedkord
Arena Legend
• 1y ago
↵BalladOfCurtisLoew [deleted] said:

Bought my first curved screen phone. It will be my last. Gave it to my daughter. Slippery as ice. IMO, curved screens exist to break and make more money for the companies who make them. Never again!

I've owned the S7 edge, S8, the Note 7 and 9, and the S22 Ultra and S23 Ultra. Never had a single cracked screen. Nearly everyone I know who has an iPhone (flat screen) has had a cracked screen.

To be fair, I've never cracked any of my flat screened phones, either. Maybe I'm just ultra careful.

tedkord
tedkord
Arena Legend
• 1y ago
↵phonehome said:

Fad that has come and gone. Otherwise Apple would have made their own by now.

Not necessarily. Apple usually steals ideas several years after they're perfected.

phonehome
phonehome
Arena Apprentice
• 1y ago
↵tedkord said:

Not necessarily. Apple usually steals ideas several years after they're perfected.

Perhaps true, but we would not have smartphones (also MP3 audio players / digital music distribution) as we know them today if not for Apple. Call me an iSheep…..baaaaaaaah.

DragonVale
DragonVale
Arena Apprentice
• 1y ago

The curved edges interfere with typing and playing games. The keyboard and release of game troops won't work if you have your fingers in the wrong place on the side of the phone. Also the close the app line shows up at times making the screen useless until you act like you want to close the game and it fixes the line temporarily so you can use the touch screen again. It's beautiful and fantastic displaying movies and videos and pictures. But it's not perfect

tedkord
tedkord
Arena Legend
• 1y ago
↵phonehome said:

Perhaps true, but we would not have smartphones (also MP3 audio players / digital music distribution) as we know them today if not for Apple. Call me an iSheep…..baaaaaaaah.

Why not? The LG Prada came out at the same time as the iPhone, and had a very similar design.

ProfessorJER
ProfessorJER
Arena Apprentice
• 1y ago

Hate curved screens! Just don't like the aethetic of them. They don't appeal to my eye. I don't like the screen glare. I don't like how it distorts all forms of on-screen content. I don't live in a curved screen world: my TV isn't curved, my computer monitor isn't curved, when I go the movies, the sceen isn't curved. Why does my phone screen need to be curved? I'm a Pixel user, and I'm happy to hear that the 8 Pro will probably have a flat screen. The 23 Ultra has a very minor curve, but hopefully that will disappear totally with the S24 Ultra. Flat for me, all the way. Someone has to tell the Android OEMs that curved does not equal premium.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless