Debate: Curved vs Flat displays?

Join the discussion
dazid.net
dazid.net
Arena Apprentice
• 1y ago

Flat displays all day every day and exclusively. Any curved display phone is a hard pass. So many great devices are ruined by the glare, decreased usability, and increased fragility of curved displays.

J2017
J2017
Arena Apprentice
• 1y ago
↵bitwiser1 said:

Flat! hate all the accidental screen touches

Accidentally touched havent been a thing in years. You're just parroting what you heard about curved screens when they came out years ago.

J2017
J2017
Arena Apprentice
• 1y ago

All of my most recent phones have had curved screens. I don't really have a preference but what do want is a phone with curved sides so that it doesn't dig into your hands. I'm looking at you iPhone

jjface
jjface
Arena Apprentice
• 1y ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

Why not just have a narrow phone with a flat screen? Like the Sony Xperia models. I think the screen estate is pretty much lost at the curves.

Yes I like sony's take on bezels vs the chunky bezels in the pixel 7 with a hole punch too. If only sonys were so expensive.

poptart
poptart
Arena Master
• 1y ago

Bring back the waterfall display.

dta_phx
dta_phx
Arena Apprentice
• 1y ago

Flat all the way. Curved screens make interacting with the screen edges difficult and often distort images that reach the edge. They make screen protectors difficult to put on and stay in place without peeling. They also reduce the effectiveness of a case by leaving the edge exposed.

The digging into the hands thing is pretty bogus unless you do not have a case, otherwise it is just a matter of picking the right case.

Drivefast71
Drivefast71
Arena Apprentice
• 1y ago
↵Teh_catasstrophy said:

ZTE gang. In fact I don't think folks understand how important the Nubia line was/still is to the smartphone space. No phone maker even back then had the idea of a "bezel" less phone, well SHARP tried at it, didn't quite take off.

The new Nubia Z50 Ultra is an absolutely beautiful looking piece of tech. However, flat screen... well... actually 2.5D as they say. Just not sure I want to trade in my ultra-curved Axon for something so flat. I know the bezels are minimal on the Z50, but compared to the Axon, they're much more noticeable. I think the road to bezel-less, for me, began with the first Xiaomi Mi Mix. Three sides almost perfectly bezel-less. Everything packed in the bottom bezel. For a selfie, you had to turn the phone upside down! LOL! We've come a long way...

Drivefast71
Drivefast71
Arena Apprentice
• 1y agoedited
↵BalladOfCurtisLoew [deleted] said:

Bought my first curved screen phone. It will be my last. Gave it to my daughter. Slippery as ice. IMO, curved screens exist to break and make more money for the companies who make them. Never again!

I have to agree with others here. I've had a bunch of curved/waterfall displays... never dropped or cracked a single one. And as someone else mentioned, the iPhones are all flat... TRY and find an iPhone without a cracked screen. Few and far between. I will admit, the back panel of the Axon 40 Ultra is silly slippery. But, I have the stock clear case on it, and the grip is tight and solid. Zero slippage. Haven't dropped it yet... even while drinking! LOL!

stferrari
stferrari
Arena Apprentice
• 1y ago

I like the curvature on my S23 Ultra but it is not a make or break issue with me. I didn't care for some of the earlier implementations of the curved screen as the curvature was more accentuated and took away a little to much working screen area. I always use a case and never use a screen protector (not much of a need for them these days unless you are chronically careless with your phone) which I think to some degree would mitigates any negative comfort issues to either a curved or flat screen edge.

AGoogleUser
AGoogleUser
Arena Apprentice
• 1y agoedited

Give me Flat screens or give me death!

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless